Thursday, September 23, 2010

GSP: Floyd Mayweather afraid of losing to Manny Pacquiao


Source: Dennis Gasgonia, abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA, Philippine – Even visiting Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) superstar Georges St.-Pierre believes that Floyd Mayweather Jr. does not want to fight 7-division champion Manny Pacquiao.

“Knowing that Pacquiao is a big, big threat, he doesn’t want to have that fight because he might have a lot to lose,” St.-Pierre said.

The UFC welterweight champion from Canada met the press at the ABS-CBN compound on Thursday.

St.-Pierre, known as "GSP", believes that Pacquiao has the upper hand against the unbeaten American boxer, which is why Mayweather refuses the fight.

“I’ve seen Mayweather’s last fight, he got rocked by [Shane] Mosley. I think Pacquiao is really untouchable right now. If they fight like tomorrow, I think Pacquiao would win,” he said.

Although he admitted understanding Mayweather’s reason for shying away from the Filipino, he said the American boxer owes that match to his fans.

“I understand in a way that he doesn’t wanna have that fight. But I think he should do it for the fans, the fans want to see that fight,” said St.-Pierre.

Several boxing observers have said that Mayweather doesn't want to fight Pacquiao. (Click here for related story.)

Pacquiao is presently preparing for a super welterweight fight against Mexico’s Antonio Margarito on November 13.

Mayweather, on the other hand, is facing legal problems for allegedly beating up his former girlfriend Josie Harris. He could face more than 30 years in jail if convicted.

The Pacquiao-Mayweather fight was negotiated twice in the past, but it did not push through because of irreconcilable demands.

GSP is in the country to promote the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) among Filipinos.

GSP likes Manila

St.-Pierre's Manila visit, coordinated by ABS-CBN's Balls TV Channel, is part of UFC's effort to promote the sport of MMA in Asia.

“It’s a long flight but I made it. It’s perfect,” he told the media after his arrival at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

“It’s my first time and I already like it. Weather is great and people are very nice,” he added.

His Manila tour will culminate with a meet-and-greet with local fans at the SM Mall of Asia in Pasay City on Saturday, where he will hold an open training to show how he typically prepares for an MMA fight.

For more UFC action, watch SkyCable TV’s Balls Channel and visit www.abs-cbnNEWS.com/ufc.

No comments:

Post a Comment